Thursday, August 20, 2009

Wall Poems

Poets don't write many wall poems - I think because walls sometimes make poets maudlin. Here are a few:

from Robert Frost, Mending Walls:

SOMETHING there is that doesn't love a wall,
That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
And spills the upper boulders in the sun;
And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.
from Heungshan, an Angel Island Poem:

There are tens of thousands of poems on these walls
They are all cries of suffering and sadness
The day I am rid of this prison and become successful
I must remember that this chapter once existed
I must be frugal in my dailyneeds
Needless extravagance usually leads to ruin
All my compatriots should remember China
Once you have made some small gains,
you should return home early.

from Karla Kelsey, We Do Wall Good:
One thing we do so good together Is we wall, yes we wall so so good ogether. Like that time. Like that time You held my arms so tight, you held my arms so tight To show me how your love was good, so Good inside your dark green Nova in the rain.

It's just that we wall and we wall and we wall So good together, Like brother to brother we hit hand to face And your silver ring grazes my lips - A forbidden embrace, a brother to brother Show of love, big hand And show of love.
from W. H. Auden, Roman Wall Blues:
The rain comes pattering out of the sky,
I'm a Wall soldier, I don't know why.

The mist creeps over the hard grey stone,
My girl's in Tungria; I sleep alone.

Aulus goes hanging around her place,
I don't like his manners, I don't like his face.

Piso's a Christian, he worships a fish;
There'd be no kissing if he had his wish.

She gave me a ring but I diced it away;
I want my girl and I want my pay.

When I'm a veteran with only one eye
I shall do nothing but look at the sky.

No comments: